Promoting Annandale on the Internet since 1998
In 1850, James Bradley advertised boarding "in pure air, extensive grounds for recreation, with the benefit of asound mercantile, mathematical, and English education, at moderate charges" in Annangrove Cottage...more
In April 1880, the NSW premier Sir Henry Parkes [who resided at Kennilworth in Annandale] was successful in bringing about a new education act called the Public Instruction Act 1880, in which the NSW government took responsibility for the primary years of education. - myplace.edu.au: Australia in the 1880s
Parkes was probably a little taken aback, when in 1893, a delegation of school girls, from Annandale Public School, visited him at Kennilworth, with a petition demanding the reinstatement of their teacher, Miss Frazer. Parkes referred the petition on to the Department of Public Instruction. (source: SRNSW, Annandale School 1892-1903 [5/14655] - part A])
"Mr CARR: You are a long way from being a ghost! In the same year Parkes passed his Public Schools Act by which a Council of Education disbursed public funds to both denominational and national schools. It was a time when less than a third of New South Wales 150,000 children received schooling. But in the bitter sectarian atmosphere of the time, which was to disfigure the education debate for the next century, the system was assailed on all sides.
In 1880 Parkes passed his Public Instruction Act which created the Education Department, withdrew all aid to denominational schools and established the system of free, secular and compulsory education. While the Parkes settlement achieved its fundamental objective - access to free schooling for all - it remained a source of community division for the next century. Anyone who recalls how the so-called State aid debate divided the community and retarded the true cause of education in Australia until the early 1970s will reject and resist any attempt to revive it. " - CENTENARY OF THE DEATH OF SIR HENRY PARKES (Hansard NSW Parliament 30 April 1996)
Dr JOHN KAYE [9.10 p.m.]: Since its inception in 1880, special religious education in New South Wales public schools has unfairly and irrationally discriminated against the growing number of children from families that reject the organised religions on offer. Verity Firth is the first Minister for Education in 130 years to take up the challenge. By accepting the offer from the St James Ethics Centre to trial an ethics option, the Minister is taking an important step to addressing the absurd consequences of the monopoly power of organised religions over the hour. Since the passage of Henry Parkes' Public Instruction Act and the infamous compromise that handed over one hour a week to scripture, children from families that do not accept the religious choices on offer have been forced to squander a valuable hour a week. The so-called settlement not only discriminated against children from atheist families, it also excluded those who followed a creed that was not offered in the school as well as the many parents who felt that religious instruction is a private matter. - SCHOOL ETHICS CLASSES (Hansard NSW Parliament 21 April 2010)
On Sunday last the newly-erected school hall in connection with the Hunter-Baillie Memorial Church, which is being built at the junction of Johnston and Collins streets, North Annandale, was opened for public worship under very auspicious circumstances. The Rev. P.1 Falconer Mackenzie officiated ...the hall is a really elegant structure, and reflects great credit upon the architects, Blacket Brothers, and the contractor, Mr. A. Stuart, of Parramatta Road. It is surmounted by a belfry, in which is hung a nicely-toned bell. The internal fittings are neat and chaste. The hall is open-roofed, and has good acoustic properties, there is a large window at each end, and four smaller windows at either side, all composed of coloured cathedral glass, which affords abundance of light. - The Sydney Morning Herald Tuesday 2 March 1886 Page 7
The Hunter Baillie Memorial School Hall, North Annandale, was filled to its utmost capacity by young people with their parents and other friends, the occasion being a magic lantern entertainment kindly given, on behalf of the Sunday school, by Mr. Percy Hordern. Magnificent limelight views of the leading cities and country districts of Ireland, as also views of Sydney and several of tho pastoral districts of New South Wales...The Sydney Morning Herald Saturday 30 April 1887 Page 11
Last Sunday, the 26th ultimo, being the second anniversary of the opening of the Hunter-Baillie Memorial School Hall, North Annandale, the Communion was celebrated at the close of the forenoon service. The Rev P Falkener Macknezie delivered an appropriate discourse. On Thursday, 1st instant, a number of lantern views were exhibited in the hall by Mr Percy Hordern. These consisted of illustrations of old and new Sydney, the pathetic tale of Jane Conquest [depiction of a shipwreck in wild seas was heightened by simulated flashes of lightning and the rumble of thunder.], and the pantomime of Cinderella and the Slipper, besides a variwety of comic views. At close of the entertainment, on the motion of Rev PF Mackenzie a vote of thanks was acorded to Mr Hordern - The Sydney Morning Herald Saturday 3 March 1888 Page 13
The school hall, adjoining the church at the corner of Johnston and Booth Street, was demolished in 2002, for the erection of the Christian's in the Media's new hall. The church organ has been broken up and removed, the façade was aquired by Peter Jewkes and is currently  in storage ...more
In 1895, a timber classroom was built by Charles Auger. In September 1896 Miss Wright was appointed, to teach, but concerned by the prevalance of Typhoid, in the area, she did not accept the appointment Annals from AIDAN's in Annandale (p20).
In 1898, Miss Light opened a school and it was moved (presumeably due to building of a new hall) AIDAN's (p36). By 1899, St Aidan's Sunday School had 700 children, almost twice as many as the Hunter Baillie, whose hall, was opened, a decade earlier AIDAN's (p22).
"ST. AIDAN'S SALE OF WORK. OPENING CEREMONY BY THE MAYORESS OF ANNANDALE.
There was a numerous gathering in the Anglican School-hall of St. Aldan's, Johnston-street, Annandale, yesterday afternoon, when the Mayoress of Annandale (Mrs. Allen-Taylor) performed the opening ceremony in connection with the sale of work...The Sydney Morning Herald (NSW : 1842-1954) Friday 4 November 1898 p 6
A successful charity bazaar was held in St Aidan's School Hall, Johnston Street, Annandale, on Thursday afternoon - 1897 'BAZAAR AT ANNANDALE.', The Sydney Morning Herald (NSW : 1842-1954), 10 July, p. 11, viewed 12 April, 2011, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article14097062
Until electricity was connected in 1913, the 50 or so students were taught by Misses Watt from a blackboard on an Easel, by candle and gaslight - Annals from AIDAN's in Annandale (p35)
Postcard depicting St Aiden's
Toxteth Kindergarten, Council run Annandale Child Care Centre, Playgroups, occassional care and other classes at the Annandale Neighbourhood Centre. Also Creative Arts at the Uniting Church.
วัดพุทธรังษี แอนนันเดล | Wat Buddharangsee, Annandale
Petersham College (Sydney Institute TAFE NSW) Annandale Campus on Johnston Street.
ANNANDALE Specification for installation of additional sanitary fittings and extension of necessary services thereto at P.M.G. training school. 04 March 1947: NAA: SP155/1, PMG42819J
Annandale, acquisition PMG [Post Master General] training school, owner: Beale & Co Ltd (1957 - 1973) NAA: SP857/1, PA/2041
The Telstech mustering came into being in 1953, and during that year several courses were completed, one at Ballarat, and the others at the PMG School at Annandale in Sydney. Members of these courses were not the first Telstechs, the honour going to remusters from other musterings (Wireless Operator Mechanic, Telegraphist Supervisor, Radio Serviceman) - who were the first Telstechs is unknown at this time....www.raaftelstechs.au.com
In 1963 Mr Raymond Kasembula, a technician with the Tanganyikan Broadcasting Corporation came to Australia for advanced radio and studio maintenance training with the Postmaster-Generals Department of Australia. He studied at the Technicians' Training College in Annandale. Mr Kasembula a keen soccer player had earned the nick name of "Twinkle Toes". Photograph of Mr Joe Muldoon, shows Mr Kasembula the use of a grid-dip oscillator for checking frequencies on a single channel VHF radio link NAA: A1501, A4403/1 and studying basic theory with two friends: NAA: A1501, A4403/2
"Now known as block release, years 1969 to 1972 included many visits back to training school mainly at Annandale, it was a good time to catch up with old and new acquaintances. ..." - 1968technicianintraining.com
The brother of a student from Newcastle, remembers visiting his sibling and the pub in Annandale. From the description it was The Australian Contingent Hotel.
Each book in this series is a self guided historical walk through Annandale. Each walk explores the people and construction of Annandale. Each book covers two decades of Annandales History a hundred years apart. The first book in the series, 1890s Annandale: A Short Walk, covers the 1790s and 1890s.