Each book in this series is a self guided historical walk through Annandale. Each walk explores the people and construction of Annandale. Each book covers two decades of Annandales History a hundred years apart. The first book in the series, 1890s Annandale: A Short Walk, covers the 1790s and 1890s.
113 Johnston St. Annandale
89 Booth St. Annandale
55 Parramatta Road, Annandale
49 & 191 Glebe Point Rd. Glebe
Promoting Annandale on the Internet since 1998
Aboriginal Australia | 1770-1823 | 1823-1876 | 1876-1889 | 1890-1900 | 1900-1915 | 1916-1930 | 1931-1938 | 1939-1945 | 1945-1955 | 1956-1969 | 1970-1998 | 1998-2007 | 2008-2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017
See also: History of the Site | The work of John Horbury Hunt?
In the Vicinity:-Electric Press Pty Ltd (Registration 25/10/1956 App for voluntary deregistration 03/05/2007) appears at 74 Trafalgar Street; Raycophone was at the corner of Trafalgar and Booth. The Raycophone factory was later a Kodak Processing facility); Beale's Piano Factory, Annandale Public School, Hunter Baillie Presbyterian Church, St Brendan's Catholic Church & School. historical images
OGLESBY, Charles Whittaker - December 31, 1951 result of accident beloved husband of Ida Ellen Oglesby and late of 9th Co. Field Engineers (1914-8) 74 Trafalgar Street Annandale At Rest.
OGLESBY -The Relatives and Friends of Mrs Ida E Oglesby of 74 Trafalgar Street Annandale, are invited to attend the Funeral of her beloved Husband CHARLES WHITTAKER OGLESBY to leave our Chapel 810 George Street Sydney This Wednesday at 2.45 pm for Church of England Cemetery Field of Mars..WOOD COFFILL LIMITED M4611 (3Lines).-The Sydney Morning Herald Wednesday 2 January 1952 (page 16)
|74b Trafalgar Street||
The [Hunter Baillie] brick church hall was built before the stone church and used for worship. "It [the Church] shows none of the influence of later Victorian modifications of Gothic evident in the Church Hall (1886)" -. Constructed of polychrome moulded brick, the hall opened in 1886, shows some influence of Horbury Hunt (p 13 Hunter Baillie).
|St Fiacres, Catherine Street Leichhardt (1907)|
|74b Trafalgar Street|
1910 Substation Downpipes and Brickwork
The 1905-6 Leichhardt Fire Station, is an example of Federation Arts and Crafts. It features a red brick and stucco, and rectangular downpipes and brackets, similar to 74b Trafalgar Street. Though the Firestation downpipes are not inset to the brickwork, like those of 74b Trafalgar Street. The residence at 3 Collins Street is a roughcast/stuccoed italianate residence, with a verandah on two sides.
At the Southern end of St John's Road Glebe is a building named "Durst Industries established 1912" which has similar exposed, iron inset downpipes. These downpipes may also be present under plastered and tiled facades of buildings around Annandale, such as 127 Booth Street and 107 Johnston Street (Booth Street Wall).
The North Annandale Public Shool opened in 1907(ANPS History) and a 1910 electricity substation in Annandale also have inset iron downpipes. Exposed brickwork, behind inset downpipe, on the building at the corner of Parramatta Road and Trafalgar Street and tiling over inset downpipe Booth Street, near corner with Johnston Street.
Sydney Mackie Building in Arundel Street Glebe. Has similar downpipes, window sills and windows to those at the rear of 74b Trafalgar Street.
Windows of North Annandale Hotel - the lace verandahs, clearly visible in this 1920s photograph were clad by 1955. As the building is identified as interwar art deco c. 1930. In the second half of the 1930s, low building and property prices encouraged a new boom in hotel building. Tooth & Co built over 100 new hotels at this time, remodelled or renovated hundreds more.
Window Sill, Mosman 1914 Firestation
"Old Canberra House  is a two-storey structure with roughcast walls and a steep roof. It blends stylistic features of the Mediterranean Revival and Californian bungalow (the roughcast walls)... and Italianate (bay window incorporating the chimney)...The '[1920s]Moderne', horizontal glazing bars are arresting departures from the simple original window style." - heritage.anu.edu.au. Old Canberra House was designed by JS Murdoch, the first commonwealth architect, who worked for the Scottish and Queensland Department of Mines and Public Works as a draftsman - www.adb.online.anu.edu.au
The property at 74b Trafalgar Street, straddles two of the subdivisions and part of the lane way shown in late 19th Century Maps of the area.
Saw Tooth Roof
The building at 74b Trafalgar Street has a saw tooth roof (photo). According to Heritage Victoria, the saw-tooth factories with canted roof lights, illustrate how English factory technology was imported to Australia during the late nineteenth and early twentieth century. See 74b Trafalgar Street's of Saw Tooth Beam
Examples similar Saw Tooth Roof Buildings
This page last updated 29 September 2010.